CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, December 7, 2007

MY Dada's Daughter

In light of everything that is going on,
Ambition and I decided to take dada to one of his diagnostic doctor's appointments.
This time, it was a colonoscopy. He was to have nothing to eat, only drinking, prior to the appointment.
He obliged, but when one of his silly friends told him that eating potatoes wouldnt affect the procedure because potatoes clear out of your bowels really quickly, he listened and had some.
He didnt tell us this, or i would have told him not to.
so needless to say, they couldnt proceed with the procedure so we had to reschedule for the next day.
I dropped dad off and Ambition and I went to her school where she was to have her last presentation at the school.
I'm so proud of her. She did so well and even won a price. I went out later to meet with another friend who went with me to go adopt a dog. We didnt find one though... not one that is suitable enough.
She is who she is, hence the name Ambition.
Anyway, so the next day, i went to the hospital with dada to repeat the colonoscopy and it was successful this time.
Then went over to his house after.
Brought back memories.
I broke my promise, but with no regrets.

...10years ago, i promised never to return to his place.
10 years later, i swallowed my promise.
10 years later, he's learnt to repsect me.
1 year ago i promised not to let him back in
1year later, i am speaking to him.
its great that we can take breaks... and then return back to where we left off, or simply skip the hurdles, bridge to the better days.

he gave me so much food to pack with me
2 different types of spinach, garri, maggi cubes, apples, pepper, egusi, and cooked ogbono (did i tell you hes a greta cook?!). We went groery shopping... i picked up some ox-tail, fillet cod fish, stew chicken, stew pork etc... which he paid for. its funny watching him pay for my grocery. He had not paid for anything for me for years... i must have been about 15 the last time. Not only that, i have refused gifts from him for a year. Our last fight was about money and the way he spoke to me.
I am his daughter.
He is my father.
i will respect him and tolerate his presence in my life, only for as long as he repects me while he is in it.
plain and simple.

So on our way to his house after doiung grocery, i got yet another reminder...
i am my dada's daughter.

I was trying to make a left turn to get out of a parking lot. When a navy coloured PT cruiser backed into my car. i stopped my car, got out, so did Dada. Looked up, out came a middle-aged black woman from the passenger side, and a black teenage-early twenties boy out of the driver's side.
"Hi" i said to the woman as i walked around to assess the damage.
i dont even know if she responded. I saw my light, the back fog one had been knowkced out, dangling by its wies. I fixed it back in. My back left tire's hubcap is a little loose. I kicked it abck in. I turned around ...
"Well, no damages"
"I'm so sorry!" said the woman
"Oh thats okay, nothing was damaged." i looked at the boy. He wore my brother's expression on his face. Just another black boy. I looked at the woman. I couldnt help but to see my mother.
"Thats okay... we're sisters"
"Oh thank you so much!"
i gave her a hug
"soo sorry, and thank you so much"
"no problem. have a nice day"
and we got back in the car.
i was back in the car before i realised.. i am my dada's daughter.
His blood flows through my veins, his characters echo in my actions...
Reminds me of years ago back home
Same shit had happened.
But he never had the heart then to sue the man who knocked into him
and i didnt have a heart then to act against the black boy who knocked into my car.

2 comments:

Kiki said...

wow..r u really n the T.dot area...i came across ur blog n then got sucked in to readin it all..n ur quite n interestin person o! very funny stories well not funny sha but downright truth! i jus moved here a couple of months bak n yet to meet ppl...ill come bac for updates! mayb ill meet u one day! lol at TBS...
~Loocye

Standing Truth Betold said...

hey loxiouslucie, welcome! nice to meet you!