CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, April 8, 2007

Hair Shmair

Hair.
What makes hair?
no, i dont mean "how doeshair grow"? i'm not looking for some kind of physiological reason or an explanation of the anatomy of hair- i mean...

okay...
i know a girl (who i'll be "remembering" in oneof my later posts by the way), who i had known for years! she'd always have weave on. You know; the pretty long flowy kinds? ok. Then last summer, i saw Miss thing with her head shaved bald. i was appauled! i mean... what happened?

Lets back track...Myself, highschool years in grade 12. i went to my hair dresser one day and simply said "shave it off down to one inch" and was thankful she didnt even try to convince me to change my mind. she gave me what i wanted and i walked out of her salon, as pleased as a newly released sperm.

Dimples, about 3 years ago, chopped off all her hair to restart it au naturel and currently has it in dreads. Dyed dreads.

My sister(Fire), chopped her hair off at about age 24- dyed it blond and rocked that for about 4 years.

Nat, has for years now, had short natural hair, that she sometimes twists into little knots.

Myself (again,), recently cut myhair into a punkish style so that only the verytop of my head has longerhair. i also dyed it black (myhair isnt black, naturally) and added some purple-red extensions into it. so...
tell me people...
what makes your hair?

Heres my two cents:

Black females females wear their hair short to signify simplicity, roots, ethnicity, femininity, strength, power, confidence andmaybe

Bald head on a black female getsme thinking... "she has been through a period,or a time or something thats made her decide that beauty isnt in her hair, but rather, the lack there of. somehow, her GPRS system chose toaccept that hair is a boundary, a web, a classification that represents somethign that she doesnt want to be. " bald head on a woman, signifies feminism.

Short natural head on a black female gets me thinking... "she is letting it go. she is tired ofsupporting what shes been against for so long; that she must look like daughters of thesame people who enslaved her mothers. she has chosen to let go of the belief that she must possess long blond staright hair in order to be beautiful. she rememebers that she wasnever that- until slavery. This women, tells me that they are "un"-slaving themselves. they are disengaging themseleves from slavery-inflicted thoughts and beliefs that they must accept the white culture. A short natural hair on a black female tells me she knows where shes from, and would like to return to just that.

Short permed/treated hair on a black female gets me thinking... "she knows that her beauty isnt in the leanght of herhair.She loves to rule as a woman. She loves to be a strong female. She loves to be that female sho goes out, parties, comes home, cooks and cleans for 4 kids,andgoes oto work the next day. she is a multitasking sex machine. This look speaks "intelligence" to me.

Short colour treated hair says "i'mnot aboutto pay so much money to look like everyone else,and even if i was, itwouldnt be to look like Miss taned KKK. BUT! i loveshock (which explains thecolour)


So, what makes hair?

the experiences of the woman who owns it.
When i went to cut my hair-i knew i was aking a statement to myself.
a statement to you, to me, to the world.
It was over- and i needed a constant reminder and a good gift, for me.
My hair symbolizes me.
I am a punk.
what can i say?
I cant stand punk music (maybe cuz they yell so damn hard), but i live a life of constant rush... fromt he moment i wake to the moment i lay ma head to sleep.
I need to be a ble to stand in a crowd and look different- because it saddensme to look like everyone else.
As i look at myself in the mirror, i appreciate the unique features in my cheeks, the curves at the sides of my nose, and the 2 big bulges that represents my eyes. i look further north and see my hair, and smile. My hair matches what i feel inside.
short,long, black,blue red, natural paches with that one permed spot.
this hair- is me.
me in my confusedyet totally fucking comfortable state.
this is my hair.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha hair! i decided to go natural recently-and i assure you healthy natural hair is not letting go at all-its HARD WORK lol, i'm even thinking of turning back. In any case thanks for your welcome!!

Standing Truth Betold said...

lol @ hard work. when my hair was natural, i felt so free. i didnt have to worry about relaxing, about weaving, about braiding- none of that. nevertheless, i did care more about the health of my hair- so i treated it much more often. i miss those days.i felt so damn beautiful and genuine with my natural hair

BeautyinBaltimore said...

Love this post. Black women and our hair is a story and the half.

Standing Truth Betold said...

thanks and welcome, Beauty